Finding good insurance that will cover you while you minister overseas is one of the most crucial steps you will have to take as you make plans to move to one of our three campuses. ABC requires that you find an insurance plan that covers both overseas medical coverage and medical evacuation. ABC does not cover emergency medical evacuation fees. It is up to every one of our missionaries to find the adequate insurance needed. The ABC Mission Hospital is located on our Malawi campus, and it offers diagnostic services as well as basic health needs. The cost of medical care at the hospital is very reasonable. Missionaries are responsible to pay for any services received at ABC Malawi Mission Hospital.

African Bible Colleges is now requiring the following information for all ABC missionaries in Malawi, Uganda and Liberia.  We ask that you send all information to the ABC Stateside Office at

1.  Scan and send insurance cards (front and back)

2.  Primary insurance information: Include a 24-hour international phone number for emergency (not a collect number because they don’t accept from Africa, and not 800 numbers that just go to an after hour service that does not have capability to reach people).

3.  Medical evacuation insurance.  Each missionary should know the procedures for their insurance company.  Get the insurance company to explain exactly how this will work when we call from Malawi, Liberia or Uganda and send it to our office in writing.

4.  We need 3 emergency phone numbers for 3 different people (9 numbers given total), and an email address for each person as well ascell phone numbers.


Visit your doctor ideally, 4-6 weeks before your trip to get vaccines or medicines you may need.

All Travelers

You should be up to date on routine vaccinations while traveling to any destination.  Some vaccines may also be required for travel.

Routine Vaccines – Make sure you are up-to-date on routine vaccines before every trip.  These vaccines include measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, polio vaccine, and your yearly flu shot.

Most Travelers

Get travel vaccines and medicines because there is a risk of these diseases in the country you are visiting.

Hepatitis A – CDC recommends this vaccine because you can get hepatitis A through contaminated food or water in Malawi, regardless of where you are eating or staying.

Malaria – You will need to take prescription medicine before, during, and after your trip to prevent malaria.  Your doctor can help you decide which medicine is right for you, and also talk to you about other steps you can take to prevent malaria.  

Typhoid – You can get typhoid through contaminated food or water in Malawi.  CDC recommends this vaccine for most travelers, especially if you are staying with friends or relatives, visiting smaller cities or rural areas, or if you are an adventurous eater.

Some Travelers

Ask your doctor what vaccines and medicines you need based on where you are going, how long you are staying, what you will be doing, and if you are traveling from a country other than the US.

Hepatitis B – You can get hepatitis B through sexual contact, contaminated needles, and blood products, so CDC recommends this vaccine if you might have sex with a new partner, get a tattoo or piercing, or have any medical procedures.

Rabies – Rabies can be found in dogs, bats, and other mammals in Malawi, so CDC recommends this vaccine for the following groups:

  • Travelers involved in outdoor and other activities (such as camping, hiking, biking, adventure travel, and caving) that put them at risk for animal bites.

  • People who will be working with or around animals

  • People who are taking long trips or moving to Malawi

  • Children, because they tend to play with animals, might not report bites, and are more likely to have animal bites on their head and neck

Yellow Fever – ABC mission recommends that you have the yellow fever vaccine if you plan to travel in Africa.  Many teachers come to Malawi and choose to do some traveling to nearby places while they are here but they cannot go to Kenya or Zambia for instance without the Yellow Fever vaccine. Yellow Fever is not a vaccine you can get at the ABC Mission Hospital in Malawi but you are able to get the vaccine at a local pharmacy in town. However, we suggest that you have a yellow fever vaccine administered before you come to Malawi, Uganda or Liberia. The government of Malawi requires proof of yellow fever vaccination only if you are arriving from a country with risk of yellow fever (such as Zambia).  This does not include the US.  If you are travelling from a country other than the US, check the list on the CDC website to see if you may be required to get the yellow fever vaccine.


We recommend researching the following insurance companies that cater to missionaries serving overseas:  

Triple AAA

International Medical Group (IMG):

Gallagher Charitable International Insurance Services:

Direct: 803-451-3030

Cell: 864-430-3344


World Outreach Christian Ministries (The Patterson Agency)

Direct: 417-335-6777

Toll Free: 800-641-4614



Good Neighbor Insurance, Inc. (GNI)

Agent: Karen Bellas


Phone: 480.813.9100 


Global Rescue